With September on the horizon, it won’t be long before the weather cools, and the need to heat our homes will arise. However, with the rising cost of living, it can feel overwhelming to know how to keep warm in the colder weather, while keeping your bills manageable at the same time.
In this blog, Social Value Officer and Level 3 Energy Awareness Award holder Luke Culling, takes you through the top tips to reduce energy consumption and help reduce energy bills. All you need to do is remember to S.A.V.E.
S – Switch:
- Off your appliances rather than putting them on standby mode and save around £55 a year
- Off lights when you’re not using them and save around £20 a year on your annual energy bills
- To energy saving LED bulbs to save even more and reduce your carbon footprint
A – Avoid:
- Using your tumble dryer – air dry your clothes outside in mild weather if available or use airing racks indoors. Don’t forget to open a window so you don’t create condensation or mould!
- Overfilling your kettle – boil only the amount of water you need and save yourself £11 a year on your electricity bill
- Running your dishwasher until it’s complete full to reduce the amount of water you use
- Washing your clothes on high temperatures – use your washing machine on a 30-degree cycle instead of higher temperatures and try to reduce your washing machine use by one run per week for a year to save even more
V – Vary:
- The temperature on your thermostat to what you really need – the ideal temperature for your home is somewhere between 18°C and 21°C, and for every degree you turn your heating down, you could save around £80 a year
- Your boiler settings depending on the season – you only really need to have your boiler on its highest setting in the very depths of winter, otherwise your boiler is needlessly heating water up to a very high temperature and wasting energy
E – Educate:
- Yourself on the best way to save energy by joining our Energy café sessions run by our social value team. These are held online from 11.00pm-12.30pm on the first Wednesday of each month and Thursdays for our Moat customers, where our social value team will provide support on how to reduce your energy bills, retrofitting options and guidance on where to seek financial support
Get in touch at CSRbox@morgansindall.com for more information.