Morgan Sindall Property Services (MSPS) is proud to support the Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week campaign from 23 – 29 November, this important campaign helps raise awareness of the dangers of CO poisoning.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
We have some simple steps to help raise awareness and keep everyone safe and warm in their home:
- Regularly serviced gas appliances. Make sure yours and your loved one’s gas appliances are serviced, maintained and checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer only.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm. Alarms should be marked BS EN50291 and display the British Standards’ Kitemark.
- Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don’t block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly.
- Outside the home. Anywhere that fossil fuels are burnt, CO can occur. Ensure that all appliances are checked and maintained, barbecues are ALWAYS in open air (even after they have gone out), and you have a CO alarm present.
- Spread the word. Share vital gas safety information with friends, family and neighbours to make sure your community stays safe.
Tony Walker, National Gas Compliance Manager at MSPS, said “It is important to keep spreading the word of gas safety, but remember it’s not just in the house that you must be carbon monoxide safe. For example, if you go camping, even if it rains, NEVER take a barbecue into a tent, even after extinguishing it. CO can continue to be produced for hours afterwards. It is vital that everyone understands the requirements of their gas appliances and have them checked for safety every 12 months.”