skip to Main Content

Follow our handy tips to troubleshoot common problems

Q: How to stop a leak?

A: Plumbing leaks can be prevented with a few simple measures. From the steps below, learn what to do when a leak occurs.


1. The first thing to do is to turn the water off. Your home’s main stopcock will turn the entire system off. The stopcock is often at the back of the stairs, under the sink or in a larder.
2. You do not need to shut down the entire system if you can turn off the water nearer to the source of the leak.
3. It is good practice for all water using appliances or fixtures in your house to have an isolation valve attached, so you can shut off the water to that area alone. Most shut-off valves will turn off in a clockwise direction.
4. You can turn anything with a handle on it (a lever valve) across the pipe to switch the water flow off – these valves may have an arrow on to help.


How to stop a radiator leak

1. If your radiator is leaking, turn the valves off at the end of the radiator.
2. If it appears to turn endlessly without doing anything, it is a balancing valve, so you’ll need to take the plastic bit off, and use pliers or something like turn the brass bit underneath clockwise.


How to stop a toilet leak

– Your toilet should have an isolation valve that you can close with a screwdriver or a finger turn fastening.
– If the washer in the float valve is leaking, you can stop the water going into the cistern by closing the isolation valve. This should be located close to the cistern inlet.

Q: How to bleed radiators?

A: Radiators need bleeding when they have air trapped inside them. This trapped air stops warm water circulating around your radiator. It means your central heating system isn’t working efficiently and it can take longer to warm up your room. It can also cost you money, as your bills will be higher.


To bleed your radiators, follow our quick and simple steps below.


What you’ll need:


– A radiator key – you can get one from a DIY store.
– A cloth or rag to catch any water.


1. Turn off your heating. You can’t bleed a radiator when the heating is on, as it may be too hot to touch. You could also get hot water spraying out of the radiator.
2. Use your radiator key to turn the valve at the top of the radiator. Attach the key to the square groove in the centre of the valve as shown in the diagram and turn it slowly anticlockwise. You should hear a hissing sound. This is the trapped air escaping. Use your cloth to catch any water that comes out.
3. Retighten the valve once the hissing stops and only liquid comes out. Do this quickly to stop too much water escaping.
4. Turn your central heating system back on.
5. Check the pressure by looking at the gauge on your boiler. Bleeding your radiators can cause the pressure to drop. If the pressure is too low, you’ll need to top it up. Use the lever or tap on your boiler, known as the filling loop.
6. Check if your radiator is now heating up properly. If the heat is evenly spread through the radiator, you’ve fixed the problem.

Q: How can I get my boiler serviced?

A: We keep records of when your boiler is due a service so you don’t have to call us, however if you still think it needs doing or you have changed details and we may not have this new number call your housing provider to get this booked.

Q: How do I report a gas leak?

A: Call the National Grid on 0800 111 999 immediately, open windows and doors if possible.

Q: We’ve had a power cut.

A: Is this just you or does it seem to be a block or road issue – look outside the window do they have lights on? Etc. If it’s just you contact your Council or Housing Association to get this booked.

Q: Who supplies my utilities?

A: Use the below website to find out who your Network operator – they maintain the pipework or wires and are who you need to contact in an emergency where it’s a supplier issue not a fault on anything in your property.


You then enter your postcode, and it will take tell you who covers your area.


The Energy supplier are who sends your bills through for you gas or electricity, if you are unsure please visit the below site to find out:

Q: Will Morgan Sindall Property Services change my lightbulb?

A: Lightbulbs are down to you to change and if you are unsure on what type it is take the bulb (lamp is the technical term) to the shop and show them. If you are unable to, take some pictures or alternately write them down.

Q: Is it a roof leak?

A: Do you have anyone living above you? If the answer is yes, it’s more likely to be a leak from a pipework than the roof. Look outside can you see any missing or cracked tiles?


Can you get a picture of it and one that shows where it is in relation to the property (a shot taken from a distance so we can see where the issue is) this is great with a close up one.
If you can get into the loft, are you able to put a bucket or something underneath to catch the water?


If it’s windy or severe weather, we will not be able to carry out the works due to health and safety. The safety of our operatives and you is paramount, and we will assess each leak and treat it individually as they need to be. These types of works are not always able to be fixed straightaway and scaffold, or specialist equipment will need to be used to repair and therefore temporary repairs are carried out.


If there are major works required to a block of flats or where there are leaseholders, the Council or Housing association will have to issue a Notice of Intention to Carry Out Works upon all lessee. Under Section 20 from the Landlord & Tenancy Act 1985.


This will mean that the works will not be completed straightaway due to leaseholders having 30 days to respond once its been issued by the Council or Housing Association.