Morgan Sindall Property Services (MSPS) is proud to be supporting the ninth annual Gas Safety Week from 16 – 22 September 2019.
Gas Safety Week raises awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
We have some simple steps to help keep you safe and warm in your home:
- Make sure your gas appliances are checked every year. Gas appliances should be serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer only – never attempt to work on them yourself. Companies that complete gas works must be Gas Safe registered.
- Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and qualified for the type of work they need to do. This information can be found on the back of the Gas Safe ID card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified for, and the Gas Safe Register website.
- Check for warning signs that could indicate appliances are not working correctly. Signs may include lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm. Alarms should be marked EN50291 and display the British Standards’ Kitemark.
Tony Walker, National Gas Compliance Manager at MSPS, said “This is the sixth year MSPS has pledged its support in spreading the word of gas safety within Gas Safe Week. It is vital that everyone understands the requirements of their gas appliances and have them checked for safety every 12 months. It doesn’t take long, and quite simply it could save yours and loved ones’ lives!”